🎉 Hacktoberfest 2023 🎉
Hello Open Source Enthusiasts! Truffle Security Co. is not just participating in Hacktoberfest 2023, we're upping the game with a Detector Competition!
🏆 Detector Competition 🏆
What's In It for you? Not only do you get to improve an awesome Open Source project, but you also get a chance to win fabulous prizes!
🥇 1st Prize: MacBook
🥈 2nd Prize: Backpack
🥉 3rd Prize: Custom TruffleHog Swag
There are two categories for the Detector Competiton: adding new detectors (1 point) and fixing broken detectors (2 points). Each merged PR with a
Hacktoberfest-Detector-Competition-Fix will be awarded 1 or 2 points, respectively.
Broken Detectors (label:
Hacktoberfest-Detector-Competition-Fix 2 points):
Below are some examples of fixes that will be considered. Make sure to supply ample evidence of the fix in the PR description.
- Correct the verification logic to accurately check detected secrets against the respective APIs.
- Improve or correct the regular expressions used for secret detection.
- Implement new or missing authentication methods for API verification.
New Detectors (label:
Hacktoberfest-Detector-Competition-New 1 point):
Submit a PR for a Detector you think would be valuable. Please follow the "Adding Detectors" contributing guidelines here. In the new detector PR please provide documentation and supporting evidence for the validity of the detector's regular expressions.
- Fork the TruffleHog Repository.
- Pick an issue labeled Hacktoberfest or create one that you'd like to work on.
- Commit and push your changes.
- Create a Pull Request.
- Sign the CLA.
- Wait for a review.
Competition Rules and Notes
- Start date for submissions: Sept 30.
- End date for submissions: Oct 31.
- Any submissions received after Oct 31 will be ineligible for the Detector Competition.
- New Detectors must be for valid credential providers. There is no benefit to the community for adding a Detector when the credential provider has no users. PRs that add invalid Detectors will be labled
- Spam PRs will be marked with a
spam label and closed. Contributors with 2+ spammy PRs are disqualified.
- Contributors who attempt to duplicate other contributors PRs will be disqualified (aka, don't go hunting on GitHub for TruffleHog forks).
- Each week we will be posting the scoreboard to the Hacktoberfest channel in the Secret Scanning Discord and on [this github issue](TOD)
We're also participating in the larget "Hacktoberfest" program sponsored by Digital Ocean. To maintain the integrity of TruffleHog, we're looking for meaningful contributions that align with the project's goals. Here are the types of contributions that are eligible:
- Issues Labeled “Hacktoberfest”: We have a backlog of issues and some of them have been labeled “Hacktoberfest”.
- Expanding our Test Coverage: Add new tests or expand existing tests to increase our test coverage to make TruffleHog even more robust!